India’s digital media regulation flares up fears about press freedom

NEW DELHI: India’s new oversight of digital news platforms is drawing protest from the media industry and activists who fear the rules will curb press freedom in the world’s largest democracy.

India, which has one of the world’s biggest and most diverse media industries, last month announced the Intermediary Guidelines and Digital Media Ethics Code, aimed at pushing Big Tech firms such as Facebook to comply with content takedown orders.

However, it also extends to news websites.

The rules impose a three-tier regulatory mechanism, requiring a grievance officer to resolve complaints and a government panel to have broad oversight.

The most senior government official in the information and broadcasting ministry will also have emergency powers to order content be blocked.

Media executives fear such oversight could lead to censorship of content seen as critical of the government, and three digital news outlets have approached state courts.

“These…rules will signify the death of media independence in India,” said Siddharth Varadarajan, editor of independent news website ‘The Wire’. Its publisher has challenged the regulation in the Delhi High Court. LiveLaw, a legal news website, has challenged the rules in the Kerala High Court, which this week said no coercive action should be taken against the website for non-compliance.

The government says the new rules are aimed at achieving parity between digital media and print and TV news regulations. Referring to the rules for digital media, information and broadcasting minister Prakash Javadekar last month said “every freedom has to be responsible freedom”.

The number of online media outlets in India has increased in recent years, but some journalists have complained they face intimidation for reporting stories critical of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his administration.

Bitcoin passes $60,000 for first time with backing from corporate heavyweights

PARIS: Bitcoin briefly rose above $60,000 for the first time on Saturday, as increasing backing from corporate heavyweights helps the world´s most popular virtual currency continue its record-breaking run.

The cryptocurrency hit an all-time high of $60,012 at 1149 GMT, according to the website CoinMarketCap.

Bitcoin has been on a meteoric rise since March last year, when it stood at $5,000, spurred by online payments giant PayPal saying it would allow account holders to use cryptocurrency.

Last month Elon Musk´s electric carmaker Tesla invested $1.

5 billion in the virtual unit, while Twitter chief Jack Dorsey and rap mogul Jay-Z said they are creating a fund aimed at making Bitcoin “the internet´s currency”.

Others jumping on the bandwagon include Wall Street player BNY Mellon, investment fund giant BlackRock and credit card titan Mastercard.

Bitcoin, which was launched back in 2009, hit the headlines in 2017 after soaring from less than $1,000 in January to almost $20,000 in December of the same year.

The virtual bubble then burst in subsequent days, with bitcoin´s value then fluctuating wildly before sinking below $5,000 by October 2018.

However the last year´s rise has been more steady, with investors and Wall Street finance giants wooed by dizzying growth, the opportunity for profit and asset diversification, and a safe store of value to guard against inflation.

Bitcoins are traded via a decentralised registry system known as a blockchain.

The system requires massive computer processing power in order to manage and implement transactions.

That power is provided by “miners”, who do so in the hope they will receive new bitcoins for validating transaction data.

Lanka anti-terror law bans burqa, detention for deradicalisation

COLOMBO: Sri Lanka Saturday announced using a controversial anti-terror law to deal with religious extremism and gave itself sweeping powers to detain suspects for up to two years for “deradicalisation”.

Separately, the government also said it will soon outlaw the burqa, formalising a temporary ban imposed in April 2019 after deadly bomb attacks blamed on local jihadists.

President Gotabaya Rajapaksa promulgated regulations allowing the detention of anyone suspected of causing “acts of violence or religious, racial or communal disharmony or feelings of ill will or hostility between different communities”.

The rules, effective Friday, have been set up under the Prevention of Terrorism Act (PTA), which both local and international rights groups have repeatedly asked Colombo to repeal.

Sri Lanka´s previous government, which was defeated by Rajapaksa at 2019 elections, had pledged to repeal the PTA after admitting it seriously undermined individual freedoms, but failed to do so.

Rajapaksa, who came to power with a promise to battle Islamic extremism, announced the “deradicalisation from holding violent extremist religious ideology” measures in a gazette notification seen by media Saturday.

Meanwhile, Public Security Minister Sarath Weerasekera announced Saturday that the burqa, a loose garment covering from head to toe and worn in public in many Islamic states, was a threat to Sri Lanka´s national security. “The burqa is something that directly affects our national security,” Weerasekera told reporters in Colombo.  “This (dress) came into Sri Lanka only recently. It is a symbol of their religious extremism.” Weerasekera said he signed documents outlawing the burqa, but they need to be approved by the cabinet of ministers and parliament where the government has a two-thirds majority to see its bills through.

Afghan car blast claims 8 lives

HERAT, Afghanistan: A powerful car bomb in western Afghanistan killed at least eight people and wounded dozens more, authorities said Saturday, as the United Nations condemned attacks on civilians in the country. The blast targeted a police headquarters in the city of Herat around 10 pm on Friday, damaging dozens of houses and shops, Jailani Farhad, the spokesman for the Herat provincial governor, told media.

“The death toll from a car bomb in the city of Herat increased to eight, and 47 others are wounded,” he said, adding that women, children and security personnel were among the dead.

The interior ministry spokesman, Tariq Arian, confirmed the death toll, adding that 54 had been wounded.

Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said the blast in Herat had no links to their group.

US judge removes China´s smartphone Xiaomi maker from Trump-era blacklist

WASHINGTON: A US judge on Friday ordered Chinese smartphone maker Xiaomi temporarily removed from a government blacklist barring American investment in the company.

Six days before Donald Trump left office last year, his administration cemented its trade war legacy against Beijing with a series of announcements targeting Chinese firms including Xiaomi, state oil giant CNOOC, and social media darling TikTok.

Xiaomi was one of nine firms classified by the Pentagon as “Communist Chinese military companies.

“But US District Judge Rudolph Contreras in Washington ruled Friday the Departments of Defense and Treasury “have not made the case that the national security interests at stake here are compelling.

“He issued a preliminary injunction removing Xiaomi from the blacklist and suspending the ban on US investors buying the company´s securities.

In an appeal filed in January against its blacklisting, Xiaomi — which overtook Apple last year to become the world´s third-largest smartphone manufacturer — said Washington´s moves were “incorrect” and had “deprived the company of legal due process.

“Contreras´s decision came the same day US regulators listed Huawei and ZTE among Chinese telecom gear firms deemed a threat to national security, signalling that a hoped-for softening of relations is not on the cards.

AstraZeneca vaccine safe for Covid-19, insists WHO

GENEVA: The World Health Organization said Friday there was no reason to stop using AstraZeneca´s Covid-19 jab after several countries suspended rollout over blood clot fears, while the hard-hit United States exceeded 100 million doses of vaccine administered to its people.

The WHO, which said its vaccines advisory committee was examining the safety data coming in, stressed that no causal link has been established between the AstraZeneca vaccine and clotting.

“Yes, we should continue using the AstraZeneca vaccine,” WHO spokeswoman Margaret Harris added, stressing that any concerns over safety must be investigated.

UK-based AstraZeneca insisted its jab was safe, adding there is “no evidence” of higher blood clot risks.

Asian-Americans organize not just for health but hate

WASHINGTON: As the Covid-19 pandemic ravaged America, Esther Lim grew more worried by the day for her parents´ welfare and her own — not just for their health, but their safety in the face of rising attacks against Asian-Americans.

When her friend was hurt in a hit-and-run accident — in what she firmly believes was a hate attack — she decided to take action.

“I wanted to do something more proactive rather than wallow in fear,” Lim, who is Korean-American, told media.

So Lim, 32, bought her mother pepper spray, started learning judo from her father — and wrote “How to Report a Hate Crime,” an information booklet with advice on dealing with the police and phrases written in English to show to bystanders, to ask for help.

As of this year, Lim has begun printing the booklet in six languages — Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Spanish, Thai and Vietnamese — and has more on the way, including Tagalog and Khmer.

She distributes them to friends and Asian community centers in Los Angeles. She feels her work is more important than ever. Reports of attacks, primarily against Asian-American elders, have spiked in recent

US regulators term Huawei a threat to national security

SAN FRANCISCO: US regulators listed Huawei among Chinese telecom gear firms deemed a threat to national security, signalling that a hoped for softening of relations is not in the cards.

A roster of communications companies thought to pose “an unacceptable risk” to national security included Huawei Technologies; ZTE; Hytera Communications; Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology, and Dahua Technology. “This list is a big step toward restoring trust in our communications networks,” said Federal Communications Commission acting chairwoman Jessica Rosenworcel.

“This list provides meaningful guidance that will ensure that as next-generation networks are built across the country, they do not repeat the mistakes of the past or use equipment or services that will pose a threat to US national security or the security and safety of Americans.

“The five Chinese companies that provide communications equipment or services were on a roster compiled by the FCC and the Homeland Security Bureau as per US law.

Huawei chief and founder Ren Zhengfei last month called for a reset with the United States under President Joe Biden, after the firm was battered by sanctions imposed by Donald Trump´s administration.

In his first appearance before journalists in a year, Ren Zhengfei said his “confidence in Huawei´s ability to survive has grown” despite its travails across much of the western world where it is maligned as a potential security threat.

Infinix customers can now win Rs. 300,000 from Note 8 series

Lahore (Muhammad Yasir) Pakistan’s most Premium smartphone brand, Infinix, has announced another exciting Rs. 300,000 lucky draw for its beloved customers on purchase of Note 8 series (Note 8 and Note 8i) devices. Lucky draw has been kicked off from 10th March – 29th March where fans can get a chance to win Rs. 300,000. Every year, Infinix creates different means through which they appreciate their customers for their unwavering support and constant patronage. It’s already a given that many Pakistanis will be going on shopping during March spring season. Since part of this shopping might already include buying a smartphone for personal use or as a gift to a loved one, Infinix has decided to reward customers with amazing gift prizes while they do just that. All customers have to do is to buy Note 8 series phone and activate it by inserting SIM. Three winners in total 1 winner will be announced every week till 29th March. Winners will be announced on the official Facebook and Instagram of Infinix.

The campaign is for offline and online customers. Customers can also get free gifts XE 15 TWS earbuds on buying Note 8 series from Xpark The Infinix Note 8 comes loaded with a dual-punch cutout you get quad-camera setup with 64MP primary lens, 2MP macro, 2MP depth and AI Lens with quad-LED flash. On the front, there is a combo of 16MP and a portrait camera along with a gradient finish at the back panel. The phone is loaded with a quad-camera setup, powered by the MediaTek Helio G80 chipset, 5,200mAh battery with 18W fast charging support. It is available with 6GB of RAM and 128GB of internal storage with an option to expand the storage upto 512GB via microSD card. The Infinix Note 8i is the toned version of its elder sibling. The phone features a quad-cameras, single punch-hole cutout The features the MediaTek Helio G80 along with Mali-G52 2EEMC2 GPU. It is available with 6GB of RAM with 128GB of internal storage.

There is an option to expand the storage via microSD card. In terms of cameras, you get quad-camera setup with 48MP primary lens, 2MP macro, 2MP depth and AI Lens with quad-LED flash. On the front, there is an 8MP selfie shooter. 5,200mAh battery with 18W fast charging support. Xxx About Infinix Launched in 2013 and targeting the young generations, Infinix Mobile is a premium online-driven smartphone brand. With “THE FUTURE IS NOW” as the brand essence, Infinix aims to allow consumers to stand out in the crowd and to show the world who they really are. Infinix is committed to providing the most cutting-edge technologies, bold and stylish designs, keeping consumers on trend and up-to-date. Infinix’s portfolio spans five product lines – ZERO, NOTE, HOT, S, and SMART; empowering users to own innovative technologies and experience intelligent lifestyles! Infinix has a presence in more than 30 countries around the world, covering Africa, Latin America, the Middle East, Southeast Asia and South Asia. 

Reckitt Benckiser meets the President of Pakistan; reiterates commitment to a healthier and cleaner Pakistan

Lahore (Muhammad Yasir) Reckitt Benckiser (RB), makers of Dettol, reiterated its purpose to protect, heal and nurture in the relentless pursuit of a cleaner and healthier world, in a meeting with the President of Pakistan, Dr. Arif Alvi. The meeting was led by Laxman Narasimhan (CEO, RB Group plc) and Kashan Hasan, CEO, RB Pakistan Limited) where they discussed with the President on how the two parties can further collaborate on driving hygiene awareness for the masses and work towards a healthier and cleaner Pakistan. Other attendees from RB included Mehmood Khan (Non-executive Director, RB Group plc), Kris Licht (President, Health GBU) and Bart Meermans (Senior Vice President, AMET Region, Health GBU).

Good hygiene is the foundation of good health and RB takes pride in its fight to make access to the highest quality hygiene, wellness and nourishment a right and not a privilege. Now more than ever, the world needs sustainable solutions to tackle the new challenges related to health and hygiene and this is exactly where RB takes the lead to help people deal with these challenges through innovation in areas concerning nutrition, wellness, health and hygiene.

Speaking on the occasion, Dr. Arif Alvi, President of Pakistan, said, “This is the kind of sheer determination and will power we need when it comes to improving health and hygiene for all citizens and not just the ones who can afford it. I commend the efforts made in the past by RB for the betterment of Pakistan and I hope that through this public-private partnership, we are able to minimize the social and health issues in Pakistan to achieve Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).”

RB Pakistan has been working relentlessly to improve health and hygiene conditions in the country. In the past couple of years, under Dettol’s signature program “Hoga Saaf Pakistan” the Company has spent over 300 million Pakistani Rupees while officially collaborating and extending our full support to the Ministry of Climate Change for Clean Green Pakistan Movement (CGPM). Furthermore, amidst the COVID-19 pandemic, RB partnered with the Ministry of Health to build awareness across the country investing around 500 million Pakistani rupees on relief efforts in addition to creating hygiene awareness.